View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
How do you not pick Gretzky here? Where was his weakness? His shot was as accurate as anyone's. Not hard, but accurate. He didn't have blinding speed and his skating was choppy but it got him from point A to point B. When you start adding playmaking, hockey sense and vision it is hard not to pick him. He also had wonderful puck control.

On this list I give Mario the #2 spot. He had much of what Gretzky did but with better hands and more physical gifts. Was a step down in hockey IQ but definitely a step up over the rest on here (hey, it's Gretzky).

I am taking into account just how did this in the context of the game. Someone said Fedorov and while he fits all of these qualities I don't he did it with enough regularity in an NHL game to be considered here. It kind of reminds of a list TSN did naming the top 10 talented NHL players and they put Kovalev on there. Kovalev didn't use his talents nearly enough to be considered near the top. Gretzky meanwhile was always thinking ahead on the ice every second and never wasted his talents.

Surprised to see Lindros on here. He was the full package - except when it came to his head and that's a big factor for me.

Gretzky is still my pick.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote