View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 05:20 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Good post.

I agree that the Rangers have gotten "softer" and that they're not going to go anywhere without Richards and Gaborik playing well.

If that happens, I think this team could make a run for the cup. It doesn't look very promising, though.

Another thing: the defense has been porous most of the season. Including McD, Girardi, and DZ - hell, those 3 have been terrible in the past few games. Coming from a McD fan boy, and one of the few people who doesn't like to pile on Del Zotto. But, the criticism is unavoidable. In the absence of Staal, I thought these players would have stepped it up, but they look worse than ever before. McDonagh is starting to play a lot better, though. He was excellent against the Caps and Jets. So, there's one positive.

I feel as though Girardi's straight up badness has been understated. He's been BAD. The mis-read he made on the GWG in the Sabres game was inexcusable. He also has a tendency to turn the puck over even if there's no forecheck pressure being put on him. He looks like a totally different player than he did last season.

Maybe it's the coaching, maybe it's the lack of conditioning, but this team is going NOWHERE with terrible offense AND terrible defense.
Agreed, the defense was far better last year. Staal's injury was really unlucky because he was playing the best hockey I've seen from him in some time.

I think Girardi had a career year last season, and we were extremely fortunate that it came at a time when Staal was out. This year Girardi looks closer to the player he was before last season - inconsistent in terms of his positioning and handling the puck like a grenade at times.

McDonagh's inconsistency isn't that surprising to me, he's still young. But he needs to make more of an effort around the crease, the last few games he has let opposing forwards camp out in front of Hank and it's resulted in goals against.

Del Zotto was playing well with Staal earlier in the year. He needs to be on a pairing with someone who is solid defensively to cover him when he makes mistakes. Him and Stralman were awful last night.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote