View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Believe me I have noticed and I don't like it one bit. If Getzlaf and Perry are part of the team in Sochi, I don't like our chances at all. It means Hockey Canada is not thinking correctly or choosing correctly to play on big ice. If that's the case, then they better bring somebody in who knows big ice tactics, and no Canadian coach knows big ice tactics better than Andy Murray.

Let me rephrase that ) I'm glad to see both Getzlaf and Perry back in form as I support all my fellow Canadians, granted I'm not their biggest fan, I just don't think they are equipped to play big ice hockey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I would still leave him off. Poor skater (relative) and a lack of versatility. Canada has no need of Getzlaf at centre. Crosby is miles ahead, Stamkos is clearly better, Toews is getting a spot as well and is far better suited for his role. I see no reason why Tavares, Giroux, Bergeron or E. Staal wouldn't all be superior options for that line.

Getzlaf isn't getting any PP time on Canada, he isn't killing penalties, and he needs linemates for very specific roles. Getzlaf either needs Perry or skaters who can cycle and bang down low while being fast enough to cover for his lack of speed. The only players I can think of who fill those spots are Nash and Kane. With Nash, I would prefer for him to have a bigger role as the main offensive engine of Toews' line. Kane actually spent time on a line with Getzlaf and Perry at the last WC, and while he looked good personally the line did not function overly well.
You two, while being some of the more active posters on this subsection and some of my favorite reads, touch on a topic that I find very interesting for discussion. You aren't the only one's arguing against Getzlaf as I had heard he is high maintenance. I don't know the validity of that. I'm just curious as to the nature of it. Likewise, the fact that he's won at all levels and in NHL, as well as being a former Olympic gold Medal winner has to go into the thought process. Combined with the fact that he's having a heck of a season I don't know how Canada leaves him off the roster.

I'm just trying to understand the situation better as to his possibility of going to Sochi.