View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
I would still leave him off. Poor skater (relative) and a lack of versatility. Canada has no need of Getzlaf at centre. Crosby is miles ahead, Stamkos is clearly better, Toews is getting a spot as well and is far better suited for his role. I see no reason why Tavares, Giroux, Bergeron or E. Staal wouldn't all be superior options for that line.

Getzlaf isn't getting any PP time on Canada, he isn't killing penalties, and he needs linemates for very specific roles. Getzlaf either needs Perry or skaters who can cycle and bang down low while being fast enough to cover for his lack of speed. The only players I can think of who fill those spots are Nash and Kane. With Nash, I would prefer for him to have a bigger role as the main offensive engine of Toews' line. Kane actually spent time on a line with Getzlaf and Perry at the last WC, and while he looked good personally the line did not function overly well.
Yeah, believe me, I'm no fan of Getzlaf or Perry. Given Crosby, Stamkos, and Toews are locks as the #1 to #3 centers, and where you see Staal, Tavares, Giroux, and Bergeron fitting into the picture, he'd need to fit in as the 4th line center or basically not fit in at all due to his lack of versatility (and keep in mind I see us rolling four fairly-balanced lines). And like you said, with his poor skating and his style of play he'll need to be sheltered by at least one defensively-oriented, fast-skating winger - which is an issue which is only compounded by having the even-slower Perry ride shotgun for him.

Its hard to say whether Hockey Canada is tuned in to the issue or not; Yzerman is no dummy, but Getzlaf is one of those guys that always seems to get the benefit of the doubt from the prognosticators in the media selecting Team Canada. I'm not one to believe that one player could sink a team, and from that perspective if Getzlaf is highly motivated and playing up to his dominant potential (like he is right now) he may present more reward than risk and would therefore be worth taking.