View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
You two, while being some of the more active posters on this subsection and some of my favorite reads, touch on a topic that I find very interesting for discussion. You aren't the only one's arguing against Getzlaf as I had heard he is high maintenance. I don't know the validity of that. I'm just curious as to the nature of it. Likewise, the fact that he's won at all levels and in NHL, as well as being a former Olympic gold Medal winner has to go into the thought process. Combined with the fact that he's having a heck of a season I don't know how Canada leaves him off the roster.

I'm just trying to understand the situation better as to his possibility of going to Sochi.
Not sure about that. He may have been a bit of a princess back in junior (I recall his father complaining about his ice time in an interview during the WJHCs in the mid-00s), but seems to have matured since then. Our concerns around Getzlaf center around: 1) he's a poor skater, which is made worse on the international ice surface; 2) his style of play (cycling down low) may not be overly conducive to success on the larger ice surface and leaves his line exposed to counter-attack; 3) he's not versatile, like the other centers on the team - he wouldn't be a good fit on the wing, doesn't kill penalties, wouldn't be relied upon in a "shutdown"-type role, and probably wouldn't find success as a 13th forward who slots in here and there - essentially, he's a scoring-line, playmaking center.