View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 09:52 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Sooo. . . we should give Fedorov credit for something he might have been able to accomplish if he had tried? Really? There are plenty of players who performed well in the regular season, and also excelled in the playoffs. If Fedorov couldn't do that, that's fine. . .but let's rank him accordingly.
The issue seems to be that we are ranking players differently. I try to rank a player by how he contributes to team success or makes his team better, because helping your team win is the point of hockey after all. And I care a lot that Fedorov was always there playing amazing hockey when the Red Wings needed him, and I care a lot less that when the games didn't matter so much (as they didn't really when the Red Wings were a stacked team), he coasted. It's kind of like the Oilers who didn't bother playing defense in the regular season because they didn't need to.

And no, it isn't just Cup counting. I do put a lot of stock in Selanne almost singlehandedly carrying his team to the playoffs in 1997-98.

Quote:
If I say, 'Alex Tanguay is an amazing player. Best I've ever seen'. That's not fact. That's opinion. That tells me nothing about Alex Tanguay. I see a lot of opinion in favour of Fedorov here, and not much fact.
If you can find me a large number of people who think that Alex Tanguay was one of the best players in the league and one of the best playoff performers of his era, then we can talk about him as a comparable to Fedorov

Quote:
So if he rolled all four lines. . . would it be correct to assume that every center had equal opportunities offensively then?
Not really. Depends on linemates, matchups, and usage.

Quote:
You would think his offensive numbers would have jumped up, then, when he left Detroit, wouldn't you?
He was 34 when he left Detroit and had to adjust to a new team and system. Some players can do it, Feds obviously didn't. Selanne definitely was better from age 35+ Anyway, I don't think its a coincidence that Feds had his best season since the mid 90s in 2002-03 when Yzerman missed most of the season.

Quote:
He was a FINE playoff performer. I have never said differently. He's just seriously overrated there.
Overrated by who? And I'll rephrase my question another way - Can you name any players who were better playoff performers than Fedorov between the 1995 and 2005 lockouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
I'd give Yzerman that one.
Yeah, I agree with you. I definitely think Yzerman deserved the 1998 Conn Smythe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
How many points did Lindros score in the 1997 Finals exactly? Three? And Fedorov? Six, you say?

How exactly is that Lindros outperforming Fedorov?
Yeah, that's why judging players by their cumulative playoff stats is can be pretty misleading, and judging them by their per-game playoffs stats can be downright awful. Who cares that Lindros beat up on the weaker Eastern Conference in the early rounds before getting smoked in the finals?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote