Thread: Confirmed with Link: TJ Brennan traded to FLA for 5th round pick
View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 10:00 PM
  #77
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack
 
Rhett4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Amerks #ROC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
A 5th round pick in the NFL is a player who COULD possibly make the roster. In the NHL, it's "future considerations". Yes, Ryan Miller was a 5th round pick.... name some others.. and then divide that over 30 teams.
To be fair, 15 percent of second rounders have long NHL careers. Chances are that Brennen's going to be in the other 85 percent. Nearly all NHL picks outside the top 5 (and even some of those) are gambles. That's what happens when you're projecting the future of teenagers. The NFL drafts 21-year-olds, typically. Just think how much less of a crapshoot it'd be if you evaluated all these kids after two more years in junior and a year in the AHL...

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote