View Single Post
Old
03-15-2013, 11:54 PM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Becuase people are more interested in seeing Detroit play, a natural rival and close city then New York or Boston or Montreal. Those don't make up for losing Detroit especially if those teams are bad.

Ask Boston if their willing to lose Montreal and vice versa to get every team in once a year?
It's about the owners, not the fans. Wirtz looks to be far better positioned to grow the brand and increase revenue under the new format than the current one. I'm sure he would like Detroit in the same div, but I would seriously doubt he would scrap this format and keep the current one given the choice between the two.

The Molsons would scrap a few Bos-MTL games if it meant better odds at winning, better brand growth, and increased revenue overall. We know Jacobs wouldn't question it for a minute.

Chicago loses 4 games against Det and 4 against CLB. They gain 4+ against WPG and a home and home against everybody (especially all the big markets) in the east. They have improved odds at the postseason and have the infrastructure in place to exploit that opportunity. Winning sells better than any rivalry and they have more exposure to more hockey markets regularly now.

I think it would be a tough argument to prove that the current alignment is better for his bottom line and brand compared to the new one.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote