View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Having a strong second tier is beneficial. Greater competition from below is always a good thing. Closing the league and creating a monopoly in European hockey can potentially kill off certain teams/regions if you aren't clever.

If there are numerous teams competing for promotion, and whom won't be out of place in the SEL, that is a tremendous thing.

I should preface this by saying i extremely limited knowledge of Finnish clubs and their domestic hockey structure, but i would be curious on peoples opinion of how a closed league impacted on domestic hockey?
Well, to some extent one could say it prevented clubs from going bankrupt but on the other hand, it limited potential growth in the second tier league. Sad truth is that if an SM-Liiga team would get relegated these days, it would mean almost automatic bankruptcy and in case the club was from a smaller town/economic area, a death sentence. The economic situation in Finland is vastly different to Sweden, especially when it come to sponsoring local sports teams. If some company spends big money on sponsorship while laying off workers at the same time(this doesn't even need to happen), the public outrage would be huge. Team sports culture is still very close minded or in baby shoes in Finland.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote