View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 09:18 AM
JackSlater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Getzlaf is MUCH better defensively than Stamkos.
Not really. Both are mediocre in that area, but I would give Getzlaf a minor edge. On international ice where speed/agility are required to a greater degree, Stamkos has obviou advantages.

Quote:
The Olympics are closer to 26 games than 82.

Bottom line is Getzlaf ha one bad year.
What does the length of the Olympics have to do with anything? I'm saying that Getzlaf has been great so far this year, but it's only 26 games. Every year in the NHL there are players who get off to a great start and then lose steam. If Getzlaf cooled off to a 1 PPG pace then I doubt he is penciled in as a lock. My criticism of Getzlaf has more to do with his style of play than his last season, which was clearly abnormally poor for him.

Quote:
They are a scoring line. Getzlaf and Perry aren't defensive liabilities like you are making them out to be. They won't be out there to shut down #1 lines anyway.
I hate this mentality. Every line should be capable both offensively and defensively. Every line on Canada should be expected to score due to the talent available, and they should all be expected to be effective defensively.

Quote:
Anyway, who is your 2nd line centre? Stamkos? Who is the defensive cover on your 2nd line?
Well, Stamkos likely comes as a package with St. Louis, and I would take St. Louis defensively over any of Getzlaf, Perry or Stamkos. Factoring in the larger ice surface and that edge grows. I would consider E. Staal strongly for either line, so that is moot. If Canada was caught behind the goal line or deep in a corner, I would much rather have Stamkos or St. Louis skating to make up space than Getzlaf or Perry.

Quote:
Look, maybe the big ice is a concern for Getzlaf... bottom line is, even considering that, I don't see 13 better Canadian forwards than him. Not at the moment. And if Getzlaf is slotted anywhere in this lineup, it's as the 2nd scoring centre.
I agree that Getzlaf is one of the 13 best forwards right now, and he pretty much has to play second line centre (which is a limiting factor). Picking the team shouldn't be about simply selecting the 13 best forwards though. The right players are needed for the right roles, and Getzlaf can only play one role, while there are others who can play that role and others at least at a comparable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Name me one defenseman in the World who can cover Ryan Getzlaf when he has the puck and he's protecting it in the offensive zone lol. I don't get the hate for Getzy he's a top 10 Canadian player and he's just as much as a lock as Toews. No speed? Are you crazy, he's 6 foot 4 and his ability to get to spaces is quite quickly. and define speed? The game is not going to be a transition game for the whole 60 minutes, it's the players who can play in the small areas and can create and Getzy is as good as you can get.
I have no hate for Getzlaf, as I said before I like him. If you remember the WC last year, we saw many defencemen who could handle Getzlaf in the offensive zone, and that was with Perry and Benn/Kane. As far as speed goes, I don't even mean straight ahead speed as much as the ability to recover. If Getzlaf gets caught in the corner against Russia or Sweden, I have a hard time believing that he has the ability to get back to help stop a rush or even get back into good position should the play happen in the defensive zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hockey Fan View Post
Getzlaf is not that bad skater, I've seen a few Ducks games and he's fine. I agree that Getzlaf wasn't anything special overall at last year's wc, but he had 9 points in 8 games and +8 after his worst NHL season, and I think he played pretty good against Finland, in the probably best canadian game. In that game, he shown that his quality can be apply on international surface.
I agree he have to show something in the playoffs for sure.
Getzlaf being fine as a skater is partially the point. Look at the other players most likely to represent Canada, and they are basically all exceptional skaters. Getzlaf is not, and while that is not an issue that precludes him from the team, it has to be considered. At the WC Getzlaf had some points, but I expected far more given who played on his line. His level of play was lower than the stats would indicate, in my opinion. Once again it's not an issue that should preclude him from the team, just one more thing to consider.