View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 08:48 AM
HabsSlappy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I've got to laugh. Gionta IS difficult to play against! A two-way winger with speed who kills penalties and scores over 20 per year.

Mathieu Darche said this week that if the players had voted on the captain at the time that Gionta was chosen, they would have voted for Brian unanimously.

I would love to sign Gionta to an extension at a bit less money. Maybe go with the spirit of the CBA and have an agreement with the captain and his agent to sign one-year deals but with the intention of working out a new dollar amount each year and staying together as long as his legs hold up?

I would do the same with Markov, one-year renewals each year for market value. I think both these guys love to wear their letter on their uniform and are great role models for the younger players. If they are willing to accept less money, commensurate with their contributions, thus continuing to provide leadership while allowing the club to give more money to youngsters that are improving, why not? What Stanley Cup winning team does not have some good vets?

Marc Bergevin has said that he wants to breed the right culture. In my opinion, Gionta and Markov are PART OF that right culture. In yuears gone by, the Habs held on to Beliveau and Henri Richard and Jacques Laperriere until their retirement. True, there was no salary cap, but again, ** IF ** they are willing to take a reasonable salary and limit their contracts to one year at a time, it would be GREAT to have that continuity.... as long as the team is improving or at the top. The dumbest thing to do would be to finally GET that right culture, start winning consistently, and then throw it away by dumping respected veterans.

The club does not have to risk losing these guys for nothing. If Markov or Gionta does not sign their extension by Feb 1 of any given year, they can be traded at the deadline for a pick or prospect.
I am saying that we should trade Gionta in the off season for futures and replace him with Perry or Clarkson. If you don't think that either player, who is younger, nastier and brings just as much offense (or much more in the case of Perry) is not more difficult to play against, then I guess you have different hockey philosophies than myself.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / David Clarkson ($5.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Corey Perry ($9.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Ryan White ($0.722m) / Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,687,708; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $309,792

That is a cup calibre team and it would fit under the cap and would very difficult to play against. The only difficulty would be finding a way to fit Markov and Subban in the 2014-15 season. But anything can be done if we get creative.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote