View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 10:46 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
Over the past five years, here are the defensemen drafted in the first round that won a cup:

2012 -
Drew doughty

2011 -
None

2010 -
Brent Seabrook
Nick Boynton (if you count him)

2009 -
Sergei Gonchar
Brooks Orpik
Philippe Boucher (only played a handful of playoff games)

2008 -
Niklas Kronvall
Brad Stuart

It's really not impressive. Obviously elite defense prospects are welcome on any team, but I don't think going all out to draft a D high in the first is a great idea. Even the first round defensemen that win a cup, often do it well into their career, often with teams that did not originally draft them. Defensemen take a while to develop properly (at least a well-rounded game), and benefit more from veteran experience.
It's not really unimpressive either though. So every year since 2008, except for 2011, the Cup winner has had a defenseman who was drafted in the 1st round? Seems worth thinking about to me. But the point isn't really where the guy was drafted. Every one of those teams, except I think Pitt, has had a Norris winner or finalist on the team (even if it wasn't the same year). And Pitt had Gonchar who was twice 4th in the Norris voting, and of course a young Letang.

The point is that these guys are franchise defensemen regardless of where they were drafted. Does anyone really believe that the Flyers can draft a Nick Lidstrom in the the 3rd round? I'm sorry but I don't see a remote chance of that happening, given their track record (or lack thereof) drafting defensemen.