View Single Post
03-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Boom Boom Anton
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Pitkanen. Whatever happened to that guy, anyway?
I was torn on him. He is the best option for Carolina now (if healthy). IMO, based on his skillset, he should be a better PP QB than he actually ends up being though. He is a good passer, does have decent vision and a good shot (when he takes it), but he doesn't always slow it down enough or control the play in a manner that benefits the rest of the guys on the ice, and he does still prefer to skate it a lot even in the zone on the PP (Forslunds: "Joni Pitkanen circles the wagons"). Maybe it's just my imagination, but it almost seems like they really don't know what he's going to do (other than Jokinen) and that reduces the effectiveness. In fairness, he's 1 of 5 on the ice and the PP is a lot about how the 5 work together so I can't say it's all on him.

Watching Markov a few games on the MTL PP is a contrast. He's not as skilled as Pitkanen, but there is a calmness to him when he as the puck. Hard to completely describe, but it's almost like the other players know that if they do their job, Markov will make the right play so they don't need to worry about that. He makes the rest of them better.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote