View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
Karlsson winning the Norris last year was a sham. I feel it has led directly to AP playing the way he has. He wants to win a Norris before his next contract, or at least get put into the top 3 finalists so he can draw comparisons to Doughty for his next contract.

He saw Karlsson play zero defense last year and win it, so now he thinks that all the voters care about are points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I'll have to agree that I think Karlsson winning the Norris has messed with Petro's head. If Shea Weber would have won(who I thought deserved it), I'd be willing to bet we don't have this conversation. I keep hoping he'll snap out of it, and he has still made some fantastic defensive plays, but he's made an equal number of TERRIBLE plays. Maybe we were spoiled last year, and this is how he's going to play for the rest of his career. I sure hope not.
Holy smokes...this is a topic about Pietro and people still can't stop talking about Karlsson. Pietro's play has nothing to do with Karlsson, and to say that Karlsson played "zero defence" is a joke. People think because he's the most talented offensive defenceman in the league that he doesn't play defence -- watch the games. He was leading the league in takeaways before he went down for a reason. He doesn't play defence like a typical defenceman because he's small and shifty...he uses his stick and body position to shut down top lines and more than makes up for mental lapses with his athleticism and skating.

Karlsson won the award because he was the best ALL-AROUND defenceman. He played above-average defence while being lightyears ahead of anyone else offensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
People do not realize that the Norris is given to the best OFFENSIVE defenseman. A player can score 40 goals and be minus -45 and still win it. Defense has nothing to do with the award, its just the best D-man that can score and get points.
Do you have an example of this ever happening? IIRC only twice in history has a defenceman had a negative +/- and won the Norris.

Anyway...Pietrangelo is a great player he'll figure it out. Defencemen this young are always still adjusting and figuring out the NHL. Most defencemen are in their mid-20s when they break into the league.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote