View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
I'd say Getzlaf is slightly above average in the NHL while Stamkos is slightly below average. So I don't think it's really close. There's a reason why the Ducks have been so dominant this season. Getzlaf has been their best player.

Even last year in Getzlaf's awful season, he wasn't THAT bad defensively.

Heck, his wikipedia page says contributes both offensively and defensively is widely know as a two-way centre. Can't disagree with wiki

You're underrating Getzlaf's skating, and overrating its impact on big ice. Getzlaf is a good puck possession, he won't need to chase it around the ice.

The short length of the Olympics means performance over 82 games isn't that important.

For example, I would pick Giroux for the Olympics. If it was 82 game tournament instead of the current format, there is no way in heck I would pick Giroux. Giroux is just awful defensively over the course of an NHL season. His effort is bad and at times pathetic.

Now, he is capable of playing well defensively. In a short tournament, I have no doubt Giroux will do whatever is necessary to win, including being responsible defensively. And obviously he is one of the most talented offensive players available.

Now, maybe Getzlaf was awful in his last 82 game season. Does that mean a more consistent but less talented player will be more effective in a short Olympic tournament? No.

Agreed. But Getzlaf is not bad defensively.

My mentality is goal differential. Say Line A scores averages 5 GF per game, but 2 GA per game. Say Line B averages 2.5 GF per game and 0.5 GA per game.

Clearly Line B is better defensively, but Line A is a better all around line.

I pick the best all around players, and Getzlaf fits the bill.

I would take Getzlaf over St. Louis defensively.

What you're saying here is a non issue. Crosby and Toews are the locks to play centre. Bergeron should as well. There isn't a single other player who can ''only'' play centre. Staal, Stamkos, Benn, Tavares, Grioux, etc can all play the wing. Therefore, there is a centre spot available.
I've never seen Stamkos play anything other than center in the NHL (except on the PP, of course). I may be being overly conservative, but personally I think it would be a bit of a gamble moving our #2 scoring threat and a guy we'll be relying upon to shoulder much of the offensive load, away from the position he's most comfortable playing. I still have Stammer as our #2 center. No issue with moving the other guys around to the wing. There's room for Getzlaf, but in my view it would be as the #3 or #4 center (I don't really care about line positioning; I'm talking about Toews and Getzlaf here, interchangeably), which would mean Bergeron gets moved to RW or the 13th forward spot. So doable.

The issue in my view is de-coupling Getzlaf from Perry. Getzlaf is out-performing Perry by a substantial degree this year, and if he keeps up his play and dominates in the playoffs (like he's capable of), then I'd want to find a spot for him in the forward group. I'm not so impressed with Perry. He's currently sitting at 9 goals, just received a 4-gamer for an extremely ugly and undisciplined hit, and we've discussed his skating ability ad nauseum on here for a number of months. I've consistently thought that Perry had the better shot at making this roster given our lack of depth at RW and the unique elements he's bring to the team, but I'm reneging on that view now and wouldn't be opposed to pairing Getzlaf up with wingers who would be more supportive of his success on the international ice.