View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Nihiliste

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I wouldn't say this trade is anywhere near selecting two of the biggest busts in the last 10 years. (Perhaps I misread and you were providing extreme examples of screw ups, not directly comparing the decisions)

I bet when all is said and done, St. Louis is going to wish they had Seimens. Not in the sense that they wish they didn't do the trade obviously, but in the sense that Seimens would be a great guy to have to play next to either of their right handed defencemen. If you read their board, Jackman has helped Shatty, and now he is helping Petro. They were joking about needing him cloned. RS said Seimens is basically a better skating version of Jackman. Seimens playing in the AHL/NHL next year will definitely give a better glimpse of what the Avs may have got out of the trade.

My point was simply that two teams have made much worse mistakes and gone on to win the cup out of those rebuilds. I was simply acknowledge that while I do believe this trade was a big mistake, it's not an insurmountable one. It just means we'll need a bit more patience.

And I don't really buy that line of thought. We don't know what Siemens will be at the pro level yet and it's going to be some time before he's an impact player even if he does develop into one. Probably needs at least a full year in the AHL and then some time on the bottom pairing playing with someone who can mentor him. I'm guessing 3 more years before he's a legit top 4 contributor. Obviously he could surprise, but he could just as well fail to meet expectations so I think setting a realistic view of his trajectory is best.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote