View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 12:54 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
I've never seen Stamkos play anything other than center in the NHL (except on the PP, of course). I may be being overly conservative, but personally I think it would be a bit of a gamble moving our #2 scoring threat and a guy we'll be relying upon to shoulder much of the offensive load, away from the position he's most comfortable playing. I still have Stammer as our #2 center. No issue with moving the other guys around to the wing. There's room for Getzlaf, but in my view it would be as the #3 or #4 center (I don't really care about line positioning; I'm talking about Toews and Getzlaf here, interchangeably), which would mean Bergeron gets moved to RW or the 13th forward spot. So doable.
If Stamkos plays with Crosby, I don't think you have to worry about his offensive production from the wing. He plays like a winger, the transition will not be hard for him.

He's also weak defensively and I expect Team Canada with their system will expect the centre to be the primary defensive forward on the line.

Bergeron is a centre through and through. So good defensively, and obviously SO GOOD at faceoffs. If it's between him and Stamkos to play centre, Bergeron is the easy choice imo.

I'd also rather have Giroux at centre than Stamkos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
The issue in my view is de-coupling Getzlaf from Perry. Getzlaf is out-performing Perry by a substantial degree this year, and if he keeps up his play and dominates in the playoffs (like he's capable of), then I'd want to find a spot for him in the forward group. I'm not so impressed with Perry. He's currently sitting at 9 goals, just received a 4-gamer for an extremely ugly and undisciplined hit, and we've discussed his skating ability ad nauseum on here for a number of months. I've consistently thought that Perry had the better shot at making this roster given our lack of depth at RW and the unique elements he's bring to the team, but I'm reneging on that view now and wouldn't be opposed to pairing Getzlaf up with wingers who would be more supportive of his success on the international ice.
Getz and Perry are a package for me. Both there or none.

Despite my pro-Getzlaf arguing in this thread, I'm still not sold on either being there.

If Eberle and/or Hall get hot next year, and they simply can't be left off and have surpassed Perry, then I'm fine with leaving both Perry and Getzlaf off the team.

I'm pro Getzlaf right now:
-Perry is better than any other natural wing not named Nash, and could be useful on a scoring line
-Getzlaf is a beast and securely a top 10 Canadian forward
-Their superior play outweighs their disadvantage on big ice compared to other players

Locks right now are: Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Giroux, Toews, Nash, Staal and Bergeron.