View Single Post
Old
08-01-2006, 01:13 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Thats great and all but Brown is in the NHL. I know its HFBoards and a lot of people think that the unproven young prospect who had a great season in the AHL, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA Etc. is better than the young player who had a good season in the NHL but how could you say it isn't a fair deal. You don't know for sure if Montoya will pan out. The AHL is not the NHL. Brown is proven young player that at worst is a very good 3rd liner. I just don't get it.
Great for Brown, the question is, what has he done?

Montoya, who was drafted 2 YEARS AFTER, let's not forget that, has had stellar seasons in college, and in the AHL, and most likely will in the NHL. There is a MUCH HIGHER ceiling for a guy like Montoya than there is for Brown. Montoya is a prospect, Brown is not anymore, and he's not a wunderkind at the NHL level, so I'm not willing to trade a potential ELITE starting goaltender for a guy who's at his best a 2nd line power forward in the mold of Adam Deadmarsh, which was instantly my first thought of him when I saw him play for the Kings, on my center ice package. It's about potential, and ceilings. Goaltenders are THE HARDEST to draft. When you get an EXCEPTIONAL talent like Montoya, you can only deal him if the return is absolutely flooring.

It's not homerism, you're FAR OFF on that. It's just a matter of having a clear-cut better talent at a more important position which is harder to draft players in.

It's as simple as that.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote