View Single Post
Old
03-16-2013, 10:32 PM
slip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I get the basic "no discrimination is good discrimination" premise, I just wonder what the best way to combat systemic racism and sexism's effect on society?

When I think about it I struggle to come up with an idea that is a more direct way affect the problem than affirmative action.

I'm not well-read on the matter, but I'm not quick to just dismiss it because of it's face value.
I think a healthy infusion of capital into depressed areas (infrastructure, schools, clinics, roads, parks, recreation centers, etc) is a start.

I think going after the predatory scum who decimated large swathes of minority districts and wiping out decades of accumulated wealth via deceptive and unrealistic loan terms is a good place to start.

I think attempting to restore some of that stolen equity is a start.

The truth is, affirmative action is ultimately an ineffectual program because it attempts to deal with the real problem of institutional racism and sexism by treating the symptoms (getting into college, career advancement) rather than the disease (wealth controlled by white men). To tackle any disease, you need a skilled doctor. Alas, they killed one of the best:

And another reason that I'm happy to live in this period is that we have been forced to a point where we are going to have to grapple with the problems that men have been trying to grapple with through history, but the demands didn't force them to do it. Survival demands that we grapple with them. Men, for years now, have been talking about war and peace. But now, no longer can they just talk about it. It is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence in this world; it's nonviolence or nonexistence. That is where we are today.

And also in the human rights revolution, if something isn't done, and done in a hurry, to bring the colored peoples of the world out of their long years of poverty, their long years of hurt and neglect, the whole world is doomed......

slip is offline   Reply With Quote