View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 02:25 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
I'm pretty comfortable saying Marchand has zero chance at making the team.

There's literally a whole squad of forwards who would make it over him if they wanted a guy to fill a 4th line/PK.

The fact you're arguing for Marchand on the team over a player like Tavares is hilarious.
But it isn't Marchand vs. Tavares. They aren't in competition with each other.

When building a team, you don't pick the top 12/13/14 best forwards.

You build based on roles, duties, situations, etc.

Do you think Brenden Morrow ranked higher on the list of "best players" than Martin St. Louis did in 2010? Of course not. But who got picked, and who didn't?

What about Joe Thornton vs. Michael Peca in 2002? I remember Thornton was either leading the league in points or was among the leaders when the team was picked. But picking him only made sense in a scoring-line role, and the team already had Lemieux and Sakic for those lines. Thus, he was left off.

Picking the right team is all based on how the player fits into the mold of the team.

I have already argued why I don't think Tavares should be picked as the second-line C. I have already argued why I don't think Tavares should be picked as a winger.

So, what do you do with him? Pick him for a checking line? I don't think so. Would you really want Tavares out there, playing a checking-line role? Or would others be better suited?

Marchand as a 4th-line winger makes far more sense than Tavares as a 4th-line winger.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote