View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 08:30 AM
rrude

vCash: 500
Backes as first line C is a bigger deal than Sobotka as the 3rd. But it's a more difficult problem to fix. I do think what you see is what you get with Sobotka--I don't think there's a huge untapped upside there. But what we are getting is pretty perfect for this team.

RE: Perron. I thought it was interesting when the announcers talked about Perron working on faceoffs with Nichol at practice. He even sort of won one during the game. I think his heart is in the right place, but I do wish someone would tell him (and Backes) they aren't playing for last decades Red Wings. Too many little finesse pass attempts that don't work. Too much skating around looking for perfect plays instead of making simple plays that keep the flow going. If this was the NBA he'd be a player you hate: too much dribbling and risky plays that lead to turnovers. Hero ball.

I thought Dags was actually pretty solid, and showed some grit in the D and dirty zones. I think Perron's problem early was exactly what one of you guys said above. He didn't connect on a couple opportunities and got his head down. I think he does have a problem similar to a lot of young NBA guys, someone told him he was going to be a star and he tries to do too much, puts too much pressure on himself. Give up the puck and trust your teammates, dude!

Backes just tries to lead the team in all categories, a different way of not playing to your own abilities. I think at his best he's pretty similar to Clarkson on the Devils, but Clarkson doesn't have the leadership responsibilities Backes has--plenty of vets and Kovy to fill that gap. Backes just seems to carry a heavy mental load around and tries a little too hard in the wrong way.