View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 12:29 PM
MarkovsKnee

vCash: 500
Having to sign 3 Ds as UFAs in 2014 is going to be tough and expensive. I'm not sure what Emelin and Diaz will get in free agency, but consider this: Matt Carle got $5,5m as a UFA. If Diaz continues to progress like he has, at minimum we're looking at a $4m+ defenseman.

Then there's Emelin, who's probably playing at a $3m-$3,5m range. I can't see Marky getting $5,75m again, so maybe he drops to a more reasonable $4m. Plus, we still have to pay Subban.

That's a lot of money and years wrapped up in D. It's likely that the cap is going to go up by a lot for the 2014-2015 season, but the Habs have a lot of young depth coming up, so keeping a lot of D on expensive long term contracts (which UFAs usually get) isn't really ideal for us.

Hopefully, Beaulieu will be ready by the middle of next season. We also have Bennett coming up and Dietz, so we're not short of offensive talent from the blueline.

I wouldn't be against the Habs trading Markov or Diaz in the off-season (not now and not both obviously).

Pateryn looks like trade bait to me too. Showed enough that he looks like an NHLer, is a RH D, and has size. If we need to bundle, I can see him going.

Kaberle is an obvious buy-out situation.

MB definitely has some thinking to do here, but it's a nice problem to have.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote