View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 02:08 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
Why is it that we have so many dman prospects, but yet so few forwards? Shouldn't it be the other way around seeing that there are 12 forwards slots compare to only 6 for dmen? I really hope DL & company focus on forwards for the next couple of years.
I think a few points.

Firstly, when some of those guys were picked, we didn't have the core we have now. Some of those guys in our top 10 were drafted before Muzzin, A-Mart and Voynov even played an NHL game, so we knew we had Doughty and after that a lot of question marks. Now we have three very good young guys that are locks (Doughty, A-Mart and Voynov) and at least one other (Muzzin) who could become a lock.

Secondly, while there is 12 forward slots, it's easier to fill in depth spots through free agency for forwards than D-men. If you need to upgrade your 3rd line, it's easier to go into free agency and add a depth guy for a decent salary, than it is to add a 2nd/3rd pairing guy in UFA. See Scuderi and Mitchell, who cost us a combined $6.9 million in UFA. You can likely purchase an entire 3rd line in UFA for that. Not saying Scuds and Mitchell weren't good additions, but we also got a bit of a discount on Mitchell due to his concussion concerns.

Thirdly, you just have to pick the best player available, especially in the later rounds. If you think that's a D-man, take him. Judging by how our defensive picks have played out, especially those outside the first round, I'm fine with continuing to draft defensemen.