View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Rocko604

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
With all due respect to Winnipeg WHL fans, I wonder if maybe the league already has too many teams in major cities. It would feel a little unseemly for the league to focus so much on the large cities when junior hockey is a game with its roots outside those centres. I would rather see the league place teams in mid-sized cities like Nanaimo, BC, or Grande Prairie, AB.
Unfortunately, it's all about arena size. Nanaimo and Grand Prairie, for example, do not have arenas big enough for today's WHL. Even if they did, you might find towns that size a bit hesitant to go after the WHL after what happened in Chilliwack. Of course, that team wasn't 100% locally owned and that played a lot into it. However, I still think it will leave an impression on bigger Junior A markets for years to come if a WHL opportunity presents itself.

On an unrelated note, I was really hoping the Giants would have played at Queen's Park Arena during the Olympics rather than Langley. I was born after the 70s Bruins had their heyday and wasn't old enough to enjoy the second incarnation. I've seen a few Mann Cup games in that arena, it's awesome when it's full and loud.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote