Thread: Bob
View Single Post
03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Cyclones Rock
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Assuming he plays like this the rest of the way, it will pose an interesting issue for Jarmo. Do you believe he is the real deal or a one hit wonder like Rookie Mase or the Blues Two from last year?
I think he is benefiting from the team defense but also has been very good in his own right. I would resign him but not for more than 4 years (which I think takes him one year past his UFA age). 3-4 mill a yr.

See I disagree here. Bob's rookie year was very good. He played great in the KHL this season. Even his sophomore year with the Flyers was good with their lack of defense. Bob has shown to be a very good netminder[
I think the evidence is highly suggestive-as the "OldGoaltender" points out-that Bob is a very good goalie. He's working toward Vezina consideration as of now.

I'm not a "capologist" so I'm not positive when Bob becomes a UFA. I think it's the 2015-16 season. If that's the case, a "bridge contract" of 2 or 3 years at $2.75 million/yr. or so would seem to be about the cheapest he'd come. I think that PK Subban of Montreal has the same CBA status as Bob and he signed a 2 year bridge deal for about $3m/year and he's still an RFA as of the 2014-15 season according to

Top players start getting real expensive when their UFA years get purchased.

Bob is much older than Mason was when he had his fluke year and has far more good performance under his belt than Mason did when Howson struck out on Mason's deal. I don't look at Bob as any more of a high risk to sign to a longer term contract than the average player. I'd think a 3 year bridge contract would be ideal for both parties.

I'd be surprised is his recent performance hasn't put him in Jarmo and JD's long term CBJ picture if he wasn't already there.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote