Old
03-17-2013, 03:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Luongo1 View Post
With the new CBA, some of the advantages that wealthy teams had were taken away, however, a significant new one has been opened, and, I have yet to see it exploited.

I'm talking about the ability to pay salaries and have the other team absorb the cap hit. If we truly are one of the wealthy teams, I say we should take advantage of it.

Here's who I identify as teams that wont spend to the cap:

Florida
NY Islanders
Tampa Bay
Phoenix
Columbus
Nashville
Dallas

With the exception of Phoenix, none of these teams will be in our division/conference anymore. Why can't we make deals with these teams exploiting the new rules? Here's one that I would suggest:

To Vancouver:

Bryan Campbell
Mike Weaver
Alex Kovalev
Marcel Goc

Florida absorbs half the cap hit for these players for the duration of their contracts. This brings their combined cap hit from 11.4M to 5.7M.

To Florida:

Keith Ballard
Roberto Luongo
2nd round pick

Vancouver pays for half the salaries of the players for the duration of the contracts.

As a result, we upgrade our defence, add a right-sided dman and a 3rd line centre. The addition of Campbell also allows us to deal Edler for more forward help.

The combined cap hit for Vancouver goes from 9.5M (Lu and Ballard) to 5.7M, giving us more space.

Florida lowers their payroll by $7M, the 2 players counting as a 9.5M cap hit plus the $5.7M for absorbing Van players meaning they have a cap hit of $15.2M and a payroll hit of $4.75M.

This works perfectly for both teams. This sort of deal may or may not be realistic, but its used for the purposes of illustrating the concept.

However, if the Canucks did this deal, they could then deal Edler to add some more offensive firepower.

I could even see a deal with the Islanders in a similar manner. Maybe something around Moulson and Visnovsky.

Seems to me like this is a great way to use the CBA to our advantage.
What's the point of each team absorbing half the cap hits of the players they are sending each way? You realize when you take on half the cap hit of a player you are trading away that also includes you sending the actual cash expenditure to that team, right?