View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
PsychoDad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
yep. brett hull put up 45 ES goals in 1990 playing mostly with peter zezel at even strength. he had oates on the PP, and cleaned up there too, breaking kurri's record for goals by a winger. oates got the most out of him, but he's certainly still a hall of famer if the blues had never traded bernie federko.

and neely, the guy put up two top three goal seasons with craig janney. he also has the 10th most goals in one playoff year, again with janney on his wing. maybe the 50 in 50 with oates puts neely over the top, but to me the devastating pre-samuelsson neely is the meat of his HHOF argument, and that's not the neely that oates centered.

Zezel had 47 assists that year, yet you want Hull to have scored most of his 45 ES from him. Its too long ago for me to remember exactly as I just started watching NHL around 1990, but Oates played as much ES with Hull as did Zezel that year. And the year after, with Zezel gone, Hulls numbers exploded completely.

Speaking of Janney, this guy was no slouch either. He was on level of Marc Savard for me. Oates had roughly 40-50% more points centering the same players, so considering Savard being a 90-point player now, Oates could've been around 120 points for a couple of times in modern age, scoring close to 100 assists like JumboJoe.

Oates is not just another good center like Savard or Thornton. Oates is a top5 set-up guy all time.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote