View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 06:27 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
The Wings have schizophrenia when it comes to their prospects. Some of them get forever to prove themselves. Let's rewind to just 2 years ago when the board could not go one day without another "Why the hell is E still playing?" comment. But he was still playing, and yeah, now he's absolutely fine for the most part. Where was that patience with Kindl? I've watched 99% of the games the past 5 years and I haven't seen much that distinguished Kindl from E in terms of rookie mistakes. The only difference I saw was that E seemed to get 100x more leeway than Kindl.
A lot of you seem to be way too caught up on "mistakes." They aren't the only factor. The larger picture involves evaluating how effective, overall, a defenseman is. For a long time, Kindl simply wasn't effective, even if he wasn't committing a metric ton of mistakes. He wasn't physical, he panicked in his own zone, he provided zero offense. Lashoff for instance makes a few mistakes, but he's so good in other areas that he's effective overall. Kindl just wasn't ready for a long time. He wasn't good enough. That's why he was held back.

Quote:
I'm saying that if Kindl was treated the same way as E, he'd have been the defenseman we see today, a couple years earlier. Actual point production, solid +/-, earning more and more minutes.
Hogwash. Kindl wasn't taking the necessary steps. There was no reason to give him a bigger role earlier on. And really, he wasn't held back much more than Ericsson. Both spent most of 3 seasons in the A, and then were slowly brought along in Detroit. Heck, given the age difference, Kindl's path was actually 2 years faster than Ericsson's.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote