View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
You think a 20 or 21 year old Lundqvist would have fared any better in the NHL had he been over here? Or Miller? Or Rinne? Not likely, otherwise they probably would have been in the NHL wouldn't they?
No. Not necessarily. Some teams believe in going slowly with their goalies. Something I also thought we should have done with Price. Yes he was lights out in the AHL Playoffs, but he should have ridden the bus with the highs and lows of 1 AHL season. So we could have taken more our time with him. As far as the others...it took them longer to develop...doesn't mean they won't end up a better goalie what all is said and done. It's not always about who gets there first...it's who stays there the longest.

Quote:
As for my comment about top 3 in any country, it is pretty clear what I meant. You stated that the only likely reason Price would be in Sochi is because of Canada's lack of depth. Well, that lack of depth we have still equates to him being among the best at his position no matter the passport. So if he is still top 3 on any country in the world, then how can we say it is only due to lack of depth on Canada's part that he would get a job?
I know it's pretty clear...but it still makes no sense. It's due to the lack of depth for Canada 'cause Canada had always more goalies to offer than any of the other countries. So Canada was always strong everywhere, but compared to the other countries...there were no comparisons whatsoever as far as depth.

Quote:
And just a heads up: Contained in that lack of depth (Price, Ward, Luongo, Fleury, Crawford) we have 2 Stanley Cup winners, 1 Conn Smythe winner, and another goalie who lost in game 7 of the Cup Finals. What other country can boast depth like that? Not to mention the current NHL wins leader and the No.1 goaltender for a team that went half a season without a regulation loss. What depth indeed.
I know yet...who cares right? Who cares what any of those goalies has done in the past. At one point you tell me how Price is #3 on your list of goalies you'd have on your team...but then succeeds in praising those canadian goalies with their past accomplishments? Why wouldn't you consider those goalies when it's time to make your list of who you would take on your team then? You know as I do that Ward is struggling...that Luongo is a mystery with him moving or not, that Fleury could be seen as inconsistent as hell and that Crawford might still be seen as a question mark based on the fact that he just came in this league....There are no Roy in there. No Brodeur in there. Not even the Luongo that people had more confidence in. The Ward that won the Cup isn't there. Same with the Fleury. All Canadians goalies comes in with tremendous question marks, something that usually, most top 3 goalies at the Olympics didn't have. You could probably say that Turco in 2006 was a mystery. Yet, he was a vet. 2002, you had Belfour, Joseph and Brodeur. Yes, they ALL have deficiencies, all had their weaknesses, yet...all were vets and proven great record.

Yes...nobody is perfect. As if that's what was asked from Price. We'd love to see his numbers be up there as the top 5 goalie he is suppose to be. So yes, some games hurt his numbers...well then he needs some games to improve them. And yes, this short season won't be something we will be able to judge Price on...but the playoffs will. And before we start making excuses as to how bad this Habs team were before, reason why Price wasn't able to do miracles....we do have a good team now right? Let's hope it will bring the best out of Price now.