View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 09:43 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Trading him NOW would be dumber than dumb.

This said, I'm satisfied he shouldn't be part of this team in the medium term, mainly because his on-ice play doesn't justify his salary. Meanwhile, Gionta is not a player that would hamper a team as whole. Best case, he'd be used as a support player on a 2nd line, not a key player on a first list.

3.5 Millions? I would have no problem with him. 5 is a little too much.

And please, let's not elevate him at the level of Richard, Beliveau and Laperriere. Those three players are, at the very worst, amongst the Top-50 players ever at their position, with Beliveau being a Top-5 center of all time.
Of course Beliveau was a generational talent, but Henri Richard in particular was not very productive his final years, but the club stuck with him as captain, and they were still competitive.

Today cap considerations play into it, but if Gionta holds up his play or close, I would suggest re-signing him at $3-4M for one year after this contract is up, depending on his exact production, and then renewing one year at a time. That's pretty safe, but if Gionta is willing to forego two or three year deals elsewhere, we should do it as a loyal gesture in return that is still justified by on-ice play.

Same with Markov. Annual renewals.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote