View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 09:48 PM
IHeartZherdev*

vCash: 500
As far as the Gaborik thing goes - one thing I don't get is the whole idea of a 1st / prospect / roster player for Gaborik.

That really won't help the Rangers at all.

First - LeBrun, Custance, Gross - the reports have said rangers are looking for a top 4 d-man and better secondary scoring and depth players. The Rangers don't have to "mortgage the future" in a deal which is the benefit of moving Gaborik, as they aren't giving up on their young players or prospects.

That said, they are stacked as far and youth and young players go (Miller, MDZ, McD, Miller, Kreider, etc) so it's not like it's a major need for them to go out and get another prospect. Getting a pick, prospect, and something else and losing Gaborik would only hurt them this year and next, when they have a realistic window to contend. Richards, Lunqvuist, etc aren't getting any younger what is a pick or prospect going to do for their window?

A Gaborik deal only makes sense if it gets them a few solid roster players to balance out their team. They can't resign Gaborik anyway with Girardi and Callahan due new deals.

Looking at recent cup teams, 3rd liners and depth players were a huge part, the Dave Bolland, Chris Kelly, Rich Peverly, Jarrett Stoll, etc type of players getting important minutes and contributing. If the Rangers lost Gaborik and got players of that quality and a solid 4th defensmen, that may not sound like great value for a player of Gaborik's caliber, but it could be.

Obviously - not saying Gabby straight up for 2 players like the ones I listed. I'm sure a deal involving Gaborik would hopefully net players like that along with someone more skilled who could provide some secondary scoring.