View Single Post
Old
03-17-2013, 11:31 PM
IHeartZherdev*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Why not just bring Kreider up and see what we have, and then revisit trading Gaborik in the off season, or we can just keep him and bring in some depth in the off season. I mentioned a guy like Horton would be great.
Yeah I mean I wouldn't argue against that, certainly seems like a decent idea.

Although one thing that would be good on the Rangers, when I mention a guy like Vermette or some of those 3rd line examples from the recent cup teams, is that these are guys that the coaches trust in important situations and with pretty good minutes. This means Callahan, Nash, and Richards don't have to face the pressure of all situations, as we've seen from guys like Vermette, Stoll, Bolland, yes they can kill a penalty, but they can also win a key faceoff and score a game winning goal - whearas a Darrol Powe might be a solid PKer but the coach isn't trusting him with big minutes and he probably won't chip in much else.

Again - it would be really tough to trade Gaborik. When the Boston Bruins added Chris Kelly at the deadline, it was for a 2nd round pick, not a superstar scorer. I think to make the money work the dealt away Blake Wheeler for Rich Peverly, and again, that's how the put together a really solid 3rd line that continues to be big for them.

You don't really want to part with a Gaborik for these kinds of guys...but I'd say better him than any of the youth, and decent proven utility guys usually have a $3-4 million price tag, not the price tag associated with Halpern/Powe/Pyatt...

Last edited by IHeartZherdev*: 03-17-2013 at 11:38 PM.