View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 03:27 AM
Pip

vCash: 50
I agree that this shouldnt be used as the "end all, be all excuse" but we arent an incredibly deep team (in terms of top 6 talent) and taking two guys out who were supposed to do the heavy lifting to compensate for the missing top 6 player.

A few of these things needed to happen for us to be able to play through these injuries successfully imo.

- Raymond needed to become a consistent force, someone who could anchor that second line.
- Higgins really needed to step up, he has played ok, but ok isnt good enough when you have key players injured
-Kassian needed to make the jump into being a consistent force
-Lapierre needed to make to the jump to being a good third line centre option and handle Malhotra-like zone starts
-Schroeder needed to fill a scoring role and be a main point of secondary scoring.

***Our defense needed to compensate for the dip in offense that was inevitable and them combined with our goalies needed keep the goal totals very low for the other teams*** (I would argue that they are contributing fine offensively, but oftentimes it feels at the expense of their defensive play)

A lot of these things may of been unrealistic to accomplish, but most were necessary if we expected to be among the elite with Kesler and Booth (someone also way underperforming) injured. We really needed players to step up and instead we are seeing players underperform, or at best, meeting expectations which isnt enough in our current situation. The injury to Kesler has been really eye opening, because I expected some players to step up, that's what good depth does.