View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 04:31 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
A lot of people are taking this approach and I don't get it.

Marc Bergevin, and even Geoff Molson, have said they want to instill a winning culture, restore the tradition of the Montreal Canadiens.

Jean Beliveau slowed down a bit, then eventually retired. Henri Richard, the same. Yvan Cournoyer got hurt more towards the end, but retired a Hab. Bob Gainey too. Serge Savard retired then changed his mind to play for Winnipeg after the Habs moved on.

If the team succeeds in inculcating a winning culture, then I want the captain to stay. SInce we live in a cap world, that means him accepting a lower contract when this one runs out, if that is what it takes to have a proper cap hit. But so long as they are willing to price themselves at or below market, I would like to see Markov and Gionta stay on, year to year, for as long as both sides are happy.
Keeping Markov and Gionta doesn't mean inculcating a winning culture. It just means we keep our vets cause we like them. Richard, Cournoyer, Beliveau and Savard are legends of the game. Of course you keep them.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote