View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.

I'm sure there are idiots in my area of the country that are using this year's high snow total and recent cold snap as some sort of proof against climate change, too. Even though for November, December, and January our temperatures ran above normal, and the fact that many of our snow storms were actually fueled by tropical moisture, or how, you know, climate is not weather.
The real funny part is where they don't understand simple scientific method procedures.

The fact is even if this year saw record lows across the board everywhere (in fact, many places, including Southern Ontario, where I am situated, have been well below normal regularly for the last 3 1/2-4 months), that still wouldn't prove anything because that's a single data point. Coming up with a theory or disproving one with a single data point is the single most unscientific thing you can do.

I really don't get these amateur scientists who think they're being smarter than the real scientists about this because they can observe what's happening. Observation is only part of the battle. Relevant and significant statistics and testing and duplicating results are what really show proper results, not simple observation.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote