View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
the time for trading actual NHLers for prospects and picks is over, the time to start finding NHL players in now.... i am SO SICK AND TIRED of putting up with the 3-5 years of growing pains that young players take, only to trade them when they are ready to start being good veteran players... i know this management team is incompetent and and in love with youth (for some strange reason), but even *they* can't be so stupid to continue throwing away NHL players for promises and hope.... right?
As I see it the vets that could be traded are Hemsky, Gagner, Smid, Belanger, Whitney and Jones.

Personally, I remain unconvinced that Gagner is the long term #2 but I still think that unless an unreal deal came alnog you sign him to the best deal you can get. I'd like to see a 4-5 year front loaded deal myself.

In Whitney's case, I don't know if you could get much other than picks. If the Oilers feel he has turned a corner a short term deal at significantly reduced dollars could make sense. If he wants dollars and term he is probaly gone.

Belanger may well get traded. He has had a better year on the dot and has been ok defensively but he really is a blackhole offensively. No player he plays with scores, ever! I liked the signing at the time and still think it was the right move but it may be time to move him along.

I doubt they deal Jones but his injury has thrown a bit of a wrench into his future in Edmonton. The team has a lot of wingers so who knows.

Hemsky is the one significant asset that I would trade for picks and prospects. I doubt Hemsky remains an Oiler beyond next year. I just don't see him wanting to be a third line player which is what he will soon be with Yakupov and Ebelre ahead of him on the depth chart.

I think you could get a mid level 1st for him and there are a lot of players in the 10-20 range in this year's draft that could be impact players down the line. Of course if you could get a solid roster player who would be with the team going forward you do it but I don't think teams trade you those players for one year of Hemsky. Trading him for a 5/6 deman who will be gone in two years is a waste of an opportunity.

For me they need to sign Smid. That should be a top priority. Stucture the contract intelligently and even if the numbers are a bit high you are ok.

This year they do have to go hard for FA that can help the team.