View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
I normally don't have many bad things to say about how the Rangers handle their young talent since Torts came into play here.

McDonagh and Stepan were handled very well. Hagelin too. Del Zotto as well. Really, their track record is quite good. However I did (and still do) think Zuccarello was mismanaged.

But I really think that Miller and Kreider are being incredibly mishandled. I remember well. In the moment when the aforementioned prospects were being used I generally agreed with management. I thought Del Zotto needed time in CT, and he got it. Starting McD in CT was also great, Hagelin as well. All these players were given their shot to prove they belonged, and they seized it.

With Miller and Kreider though, I feel as if the opposite is happening. Miller came up and was quite effective in his first few games, but his overall game has fallen off a cliff. Meanwhile, Kreider has taken his 'demotion' like a pro and is ripping up the AHL (6 goals in 8 games since being sent down) with no end in sight to his tenure down there. Miller is struggling, and Kreider is excelling.

It's a crime at this point that Kreider isn't with the Rangers.

EDIT - Just read Brooksie's article today. He nails it:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ref_map=%5B%5D

Quote:
If Gaborik were put in position to fail — and has acted as co-conspirator in his own demise — the same essentially is true regarding Chris Kreider. But this is one you could see coming pretty much from last year’s breakup day that followed elimination by the Devils.

The coach revels in tough love, and Kreider did aid and abet his own earlier failure with nondescript play. The difference in tone, however, between Tortorella’s public expressions of skepticism toward Kreider and his boundless support of J.T. Miller has been striking.

The big club has a crying need for Kreider’s offensive punch and speed, but a recall from the AHL Whale, for whom the winger has scored six goals in eight games since his Feb. 28 demotion, only makes sense if Tortorella allows the kid to breathe and play without fear of benching or banishment with every mistake.

A recall only makes sense if Kreider slots into an offensive role that includes power-play time. Everyone on this team has been allowed to fail ... everyone except Kreider, for the most part. But there are certain players — and this is going to raise the coach’s hackles, but Sean Avery is the best example of this — who just cannot earn Tortorella’s trust.

Last edited by silverfish: 03-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.
silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote