View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 10:22 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so this Gaborik talk is getting real, I get he makes 7.5 but he only has one yr left so saying thats hard to move especially to a cap floor team is just not that big a deal I would think

they HAVE to get the right deal to move him though otherwise no dice
What reason would a cap floor team have to trade for him? Those teams are at the cap floor for a reason. Gabby's salary is 7.5 next year, so they wouldn't be saving anything. And if those teams are low in the standings, there isn't much point to acquiring him at the deadline.

There probably aren't many teams who can afford to take on his contract AND have a need for him this season. He would be much easier to trade at the draft.

But one team that may be a possibility is dallas. They aren't quite a cap floor team and they will have plenty of space available next season. If they fall further behind, maybe we can swing a deal with them.

Gabby + Boyle for Jagr + Morrow + 2nd + prospect

We get 2 players who probably don't have a future in dallas, but can help us this season, and then are off the books next season, giving us a ton of cap space. And we get a 2nd in a deep draft and a prospect for the future.

Then maybe we flip our 2nd or 3rd round pick + Gilroy (for contract limit purposes) for defensive help.

I know everyone wants a young player that has high upside and can grow with the team, but something like this might be more reasonable.

Edit: I realize Jagr plays RW, but we wouldn't be re-signing him anyway, and he can help us in the short term. If dallas was willing to give up Eakin instead, I'd be interested, but I doubt they'd go for it.

Last edited by GAGLine: 03-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.