View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
A few reasons. EJ is being relied upon to fix the other Ds mistakes (ie being paired with Hunwick constantly). EJ's pairing frequently doesn't pair with the best offensive line. EJ has been being coached to take over the game defensively, so he concentrates on that more.
I will assume that power play time doesn't adhere to your theory above, right? EJ isn't 'covering' for his other defensemen on the power play, with the team being up a man and all. Agreed?

EJ has a few more PP minutes than Matt frickin Hunwick, and has no more PP points than Sacco's all-star. EJ has *far* more PP minutes than any other defensive player on the team, and he has no more PP points than any of them. And he has a bit less PP time than Barrie, and Barrie has 3 points, EJ zero.

As a relatively unbelievable aside, the entire Avs defense has THREE points on the power play this season, all of them by one player. I checked that several times, just to make sure I didn't misread it. Unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Coaching tends to have a lot to do with the production of certain players. EJ scored a lot more points with coaches other than Sacco, maybe their styles just don't work well together. Before ripping EJ to shreds and saying how much of a bust he is, it is probably best to see him with a different coach. If he still fails, by all means rip his play.
*shrug* Yeah, I guess that's fine. Sacco certainly does suck, and perhaps EJ simply can't play right under Sacco. You may very well be correct. But don't you think that "cornerstone 1st pairing defensemen" need to play like 1st pairing defensemen regardless?

And I'm not ripping him to shreds, nor calling him a bust. I am simply giving what I believe to be honest representation of his play. Which so far this season, is nice defense and not so nice offense. No one would be happier than me if he turned the offensive side of his game around. He certainly possesses the talent.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote