View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 11:41 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
The biggest issue I have with Tortorella is he is just plain stubborn. He refuse to admit his system no longer works. The collapsing zone defense he likes to play just does not work for this THIS team. That worked last year because you had better overall quickness, defensive awareness, and shot blocking ability. You had Prust, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Mitchell, and even Anisimov because they were molded by this type of system. Now you have Nash, Pyatt, Powe, Halpern, and Miller out there. They are horrendous at blocking shots. And that's ok. BUT it's only ok if they are not playing a collapsing zone defense because that means they are playing the point men tight. This way they don't have to block shots as much, they don't have to be as strong along the boards when our defensemen put the puck into space along the boards hoping the wingers will win the board battle. In fact it plays better to the hand of Nash and Gaborik because they are more likely to get breakaways on fumbled pucks by opposing defensemen. It happened against Pittsburgh where I think it was Despres or Letang who missed a puck and it went out towards the red line. It just seems as though Tortorella is not looking at tape correctly or looking at tape at all. He needs to change the way this team plays defense. They play loose on the points and what ends up happening is chaos in our own end. Constant running around trying to retrieve the puck. Last year's team you didn't notice chaos because even though the point men might have time, guys like Prust and Fedotenko were going to go down and block that shot. Now you have Powe and Halpern who barely go down if at all. Pyatt and Nash are too slow to get to the areas to go down let alone the idea that i wouldn't want Nash going down.

I still think Tortorella is a good coach. But he really needs to reevaluate himself here and then his team.