View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 02:28 PM
The Big Unit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Horcoff provides leadership and has this presence that captivates the entire dressing room.

It was pretty apparent that after the 6-0 loss to Nashville, Horcoff came back and had a players only meeting the day before the Chicago game.

Say what you want about Horcoff being a terrible top 6 player with a terrible contract, but he does bring leadership and strong defensive game to his game. Plus he kills penalties and wins faceoffs.

I've never understood the blind hate for Horcoff, maybe its because of the contract. I dunno. You can't deny that he brings a lot more than just "pure scoring" to this team.
I don't deny he fulfills a role pretty well now but "captivates the entire dressing room" is a bit over the top. He definitely gives us a better chance to win than Belanger and Vandvelde. But this notion that the entire team suddenly became competitive because Horcoff came back and called a team meeting is a load of bull. Teams go on cold streaks, teams go on hot streaks and young teams are especially streaky. That's what we're seeing right now, a team on a hot streak. We still suck 5 on 5 and our special teams didn't go into free fall during Horcoff's absence.

What I'm getting at is if his leadership was so strong and his contribution to the team was so great then we wouldn't have finished so badly the last 3 years. Horcoff didn't miraculously develop Mark Messier leadership skills over the last week. As for the money he's paid, whatever, it is what it is and he's likely not getting bought out. I'll gladly eat crow if the Oilers make the playoffs and you hear the players tweet "we made the playoffs cuz of Horcoff" until then, Horcoff is a vet who's playing well for the first time in years and we have a huge deficit of that on this team. You could argue the trade for Mike Brown had a big impact too if you want, doesn't mean it's totally true.