View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Torts had nothing to do with Kreider's horrendous start in Connecticut. That's all on the kid.

As far as Gabs goes, I think the fans just need to take a chill pill and give him some time. I'm sure he's not 100% yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
My concerns about Gabby have absolutely nothing to do with his injury--being tentative is to be expected--and everything with the fact that Tortorella played Gabby out of position at LW. It is absolutely clear that Gabby much more comfortable and productive at RW. Hopefully, Tortorella will not try the LW experiment again.

As for Brooks' comments on Kreider I disagree. Tortorella has been very successful at integrating youth into the lineup and hasn't done anything wrong with Kreider. If anything, I think the shortened season--plus the injures to key players--has been the biggest problem. There's just not enough time to tolerate rookie mistakes and the tenative play over the course of the season and not have it affect the way a prospective is used.
Hasn't dont anything wrong with Kreider? The minute he would make a mistake he was nailed to the bench. Brooks made a great point comparing Kreider to Miller under Torts' watch. Miller has made mistakes yet he doesn't get benched or sent down. Miller has been just as nonexistent on the scoresheet. The biggest difference is Miller is a Torts kinda player and that is a defensive minded player who will chip in occasionally offensively. That is the teams biggest issue right now. Too much focus on the defensive side of the game and yet it still hasn't stopped teams from peppering lundqvist with shots and goals. Maybe, just maybe, you let Gaborik, Nash, and Kreider go out there and do their thing. Let those players neglect defense a little bit and focus more on breakout opportunities, goal scoring opportunities. This team collapses so much down low that by the time they go the other way and are in the offensive zone they've already lost the puck. They need to play to more of their strengths. Gaborik, Nash, and Kreider's strength is shooting the puck. But they can't shoot the puck without having time of possession in the offensive zone. Nash has been the only one who can carry the puck through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone without dumping it. However, that does not always work for him. And part of it is, he's up there by himself with his forwards trailing behind him because they are still playing catch up from playing a collapsing defense. It's torts coaching that has limited Kreider. I am in complete agreement with developing a player's all around game, but let's not be naive and think Tort's did not have Kreider playing tentatively. In fact it was so apparent that Kreider was focusing more on positioning and how long his shifts were that his offensive talents were invisible.