View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Mattb124

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
You really are not listening to anything anyone is telling you are you? Boyle has almost no power over where he ends up, he can only select 8 teams he WILL NOT go to, that leaves 22 other teams he can be traded to. There will be interest, a fair amount, and teams will be happy to deal picks and prospects. Might even, you know, trade us a young prospect/player that could take up a top-6 role for cheap, imagine that.
To add to your point, most of the teams that would trade for him won't likely be in the 8 he would list. What I mean by that is the teams that would give the pieces are trying to win now which would presumably align well with Boyle's defacto list of 22 teams he *would* go to (Boyle is an extremely competitive player). I highly doubt teams that are rebuilding/not competitive would offer the pieces required for 1+ year of a 36 year old D-man.

As for the notion we need to replace Boyle with another quality defender (i.e. Martin or Markov), not really. Boyle's greatest strength is as a PP QB. Burns and Demers could do an adequate job or we could (and frequently do) employ a forward in that role. Defensively, we already have folks who can fill his role. As stated, we have good depth at D in terms of roster players and prospects.

For those who cite depth as a key weakness of the Sharks, I agree. But to get depth I don't think you trade a key piece to free up $1.6MM in cap space. You'd trade Boyle to get 2-3 younger and hopefully cost-controlled offensive players/picks that meaningfully add depth.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote