View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Catamarca Livin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
The point of Malhotra was to take a decent load of the defensive match ups so Kesler could focus on his offensive numbers.

Had Kesler and Malhotra not been injured we'd be a 2nd line winger away from a powerhouse. On paper.

The amount Malhotra is undervalued here is criminal. You bet your sweet ass Gillis would take a serious run at a Malhotra pre-injury over almost any other player at the deadline this year, if he existed.
Malhotra underated here? He is given credit for everything. I think he is the only defensive center is the league given credit for when the second line center scores. I do not remember Stall getting credit for when Crosby or Malkin scored. Does Sutter get that credit now. Does Hansen ever get any credit for playing with Manny on that line? Or for the pk in that year? Manny played how many games that year. He once went 20 games without getting a point. Sure he still did his job, but it was easier because the Sedins and Kesler were lighting it up. He was the same player in Columbus, without the Sedins or Kesler and he got a 750K contract. He was a good role player on a very good team, on a lesser team you do not have the luxury on having a defense only center on your 3rd line. The legend of Manny is just that. Manny's injury hurt us in the playoffs because we had no other NHL centers. Lappy filled in great on the 3rd line unforturately no one replaced Lappy on the fourth line. So the fourth line was useless. However i think Lappierre was a better player on the third line than Malhotra would have been. Too bad Manny got hurt but i will never believe he was the main factor in that great year. A factor yes, like any role player is.