View Single Post
Old
08-01-2006, 11:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Noel View Post
I am not sure those were all "mistakes"... I was questioning last year, the purpose of signing all those tough guys... and maybe some of the answer was simply to fill roster spots and provide some stability to the club, and some veteran presence as stated this year by Level (bulldogs' coach):

From Hockeysfuture.com : http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0
Lever said that the team would like to add a little more veteran presence to the roster, not to compete for ice time with the young guns, but rather to help them steady their aim.

“We’re hoping to get a couple of depth guys,” he said. “You’d like to sign some veterans so that you can have a solid core to help teach those kids.

However, them not being retained, is an indication that they would look for different veterans this time around.
Vandy was a mistake cause he got a one way, so he was paid 500K to play in Hamilton. He did little to nothing other then spend his time in the box. Gainey needed to find some vets but the ones that were brought in were often benched, and when they did play I don't know what they were teaching the young guys. Paul was benched for close to 3 months, only played in 27 games all year. Aitken was a little better imo, not a bad vet to have he can throw some decent hits. I thought he killed Bourque's son, holy cow that was a big hit. Ivanas imo didn't do much of anything either.

I can understand that these guys were signed before Gainey got to see what the "new" NHL was going to be like. So he cleared them off the roster along with other minor leaguers.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote