View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 05:38 PM
littletonhockeycoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Zagrapan was a 13th overall pick..it's not unusual at all for players taken around there to bust.

However, it is a lot more rare for a top 3 player to bust.

Last 10 drafts not counting 2012 since that's too early.

2011 - RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau
2010 - Hall, Seguin, Gudbranson
2009 - Tavares, Hedman, Kane
2008 - Stamkos, Doughty, Bogosian
2007 - Kane, JVR, Turris
2006 - Johnson, Staal, Toews
2005 - Crosby, Ryan, Johnson
2004 - Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker
2003 - Fleury, Staal, Horton

People want us to tank so we can get a chance at potential star like many of the players listed above, putting together a winning streak and finishing 9th-11th could get us another Zagrapan though..

Here are the 13th overall players for reference

2011 - Sven Baertschi
2010 - Brandon Gormley
2009 - Zack Kassian
2008 - Colten Teubert
2007 - Lars Eller
2006 - Jiri Tlusty
2005 - Marek Zagrapan
2004 - Drew Stafford
2003 - Dustin Brown

It makes perfect sense for fans to want the Sabres to lose and get a top 3 pick, especially since it's near impossible to build a team through free agency nowadays.
Excellent post - and data.

Stretch your analysis out to #4 and #5 picks and you'll find there are a lot of keepers there as well - based on the talent depth of a particular draft.

The degree of complacency that has settled in on this team amazes me. I know it's a cliche but every one should be playing their hardest just to keep their jobs. Either they've bought into the line that they are safe not matter what effort they put out or they are so bad that it doesn't make any difference.

I'm tired of drafting mid round. Let's get a top 3 (or even 5) pick. But do it HONESTLY!

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote