View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
That is what it meant. I stand by the fact that no GM, no matter how bad they are, goes into trading those players saying to themselves, 'I want projects, spare parts, and maybe a pick or two'.
It's early and you're not making sense to me. You said rentals return projects. I said yeah, but they also return 1st round picks. etc. etc.....here we are. Obviously no GM says to himself "oh you know, that blue chip guy is going to ruin our farm system, how about we take your question mark player". Where I even implied something of the sort is beyond me but regardless, my point was that the main component of the three trades you mentioned was the 1st round pick with the prospect being secondary.

Since we're still talking about it Joe Colborne was viewed as a bit better than a full on project at the time he was traded. Esposito and Cormier were both one of many moving parts in their respective trades; Esposito was viewed as pretty much a full on bust at the time of the Hossa trade and Cormier was never viewed as much of a top 6 prospect anyways. In both of those cases Atlanta was clearly after the other commodities involved more than the prospects. It's possible they could have gotten a blue chip prospect (we'll never know) had they lowered expectations on the other assets in the trades.

Who exactly are the blue chip prospects being talked about in this thread? Certainly Devante Smithi-Pelley isn't, at least not in the greater hockey community outside of Anaheim.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote