View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Its time for a mini rebuild - sell first then start buying.

I'd start by moving Raymond and Higgins for picks. That may sound crazy given that we're icing 5 AHLers up front tonight (3 in the top 9), but they're not core players and we need to accumulate assets and shed salary in order to add to the nucleus up front. I'd move Lapierre, Booth, Ballard and Alberts as well but they probably have zero trade value. If you can't trade Booth and Ballard, then they need to be bought out this summer during the amnesty period.

If you can trade Luongo for half decent picks and prospects, you do that too. If you can't move him at all by July 1, then waive him and if that doesn't work, then trade Schneider.

Leaves the team with a nucleus of 11 players and plenty of prospects and picks as well as 19MM cap space to re-sign Tanev, sign/trade for an elite forward or 2, a 3rd line center, a RHD for the 3rd pairing and complete the roster.

Basically you end up with a situation very similar to what GMMG inherited 5 years ago but with relatively more cap space, a better pool of picks/prospects, albeit an older core up front and a more experienced brass. If shrewdly managed, the team could go on another 5 year run. 5 out of 6 ain't bad.
i agree that the team needs more young prospects and draft picks but disagree that you do that by trading raymond and hansen, 2 examples of players that the canucks have done a pretty good job of developing themselves...hansen is on a great contract and you only trade raymond if you don't think you have any chance of resigning him within next year's team salary structure

but yeah, get some dead weight off the team (ie lapierre and ballard/booth) by accumulating some picks, buyout booth or ballard in the summer, do more work on setting up a luongo trade, do a wholesale housecleaning of the coaching staff in the summer, and start next season with a healthy kesler and a motivated schneider