View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Decided to move this over from the GDT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
The Simmonds/Schenn line has just died since Briere has been added to it. I think he should just do the Flyers a favor and retire after the end of the season, he doesn't have much left. You cannot just hope he is still a play-off monster when he gives up in the regular season like that. If he retires at least then he can stay in the area with his kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
i think it only affects trades, not guys who retire.
It does both. Something weird happens when a guy on a long-term contract is traded and then retires--the hit reverts to the original team.

However, on looking at the article, I think it only applies to guys who have more than 5 years remaining on the contract.

Quote:
All years of existing SPCs with terms in excess of five (5) years will be accounted for and charged against a team's Cap (at full AAV) regardless of whether or where the Player is playing. In the event any such contract is traded during its term, the related Cap charge will travel with the Player, but only for the year(s) in which the Player remains active and is being paid under his NHL SPC. If, at some subsequent point in time the Player retires or ceases to play and/or receive pay under his NHL SPC, the Cap charge will automatically revert (at full AAV) to the Club that initially entered into the contract for the balance of its term.
The question is whether that first part means SPCs longer than 5 years, or SPCs with more than 5 years left.

I'm assuming that we would have heard more about this if it was an issue with Briere.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote