Thread: KHL Expansion
View Single Post
Old
03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
airbus1094

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
1: No I don't understand Russian foreign policy. Judging by your post you don't either. If the Russian foreign policy is to invest a ton of money in things that probably won't pay off and even if it does it will still cost money and generate none, then I don't know what to say.

2: I do think KHLs management are idiots. If I was KHL I would not even consider half of the locations you mentioned. I can not think of any logical explanation to why they want to plant a team in Milan as an example. It makes 0 sense to me. As I've written, it's a high risk - low reward deal. I would not be surprised to see the KHL, not collapse, but cut several of the expansion teams.

I wouldn't say fairly young, I'd say very young. Unless the KHL comes and throws a million dollar contract their way, they won't give up on their NHL dream to play in the KHL.
Both of you raise some valid points:
-Is Milan the best place to place a KHL team, no and there are better places for expansion.
-However, the KHL has progressed well over the past several years and has become a much stronger league and the management is by no means stupid.
-Are some expansion teams going to fail, probably yes, not every attempt is going to be a success.
-However, if the KHL continues on the same track, they have a great chance to successfully integrate European teams into the system and strengthen the league even more.

A side note, for the KHL to expand more into Europe I think that the management should slowly transition itself to be viewed as a European league rather than a russian league.